Friday, April 25, 2008

Hey Cuz

So apparently we all have that cousin - the one who has no name and is referred to to only as "a cousin" and instantly brings to mind obscene drunkenness, funny and sometimes embarrassing situations and, of course, is described by family and friends as someone who is "not all there." This person is, none the less, is someone who's company you enjoy thoroughly and someone who you look forward to seeing you next time through town and to the next encounter and the mayhem it will bring.

I only bring this up because of a reference my boss made to his cousin - a man who not only has incriminated himself in a a court of law but also made it a point to gain enough weight to reach three hundred pounds just as a personal challenge to see if he could. It reminded my of my cousin and how, whenever I hit a low period in my life like the one I am wading through right now, all I have to do is think of all the stupid shit we have done and I start to laugh hysterically and I realize that it will all be OK.

So, to the person in all of our lives that has failed to return your favorite Grand Theft Auto video game, or gotten drunk at your wedding and harassed all of the brides maids, or who has dragged you - in middle of the night - up the side of Longs Peak only to stop and sleep half way up the mountain amongst a sworn of bats flying over head; this is to you and all the good times you have had and to all the good times that are yet to come - cheers.

See you this summer, Cuz, where it will be my turn to get drunk at your wedding.

No comments: