Saturday, April 19, 2008

How ironic

Just finished watching a news feed on CNN about the filming of a girl beating another girl. I really can't say that I have been following ALL the news lately, but I am pretty sure there was a similar case earlier this week regarding one girl beating another and video taping it and then posting it on YouTube. Now I thinking I understand all that is wrong with this situation, but let me do a re-hashing just so we can make sure that I have all my I's dotted and T's crossed.

1) There is the basic issue of someone wanting to video tape such an event. Why would anyone want to video tape such a thing unless they found it something exciting to watch over and over again and felt that others would feel the same way. A definite statement about how our culture is hypnotized by violence, but also the fact that we feel a need to document all our moral shortcomings so we can re-hash them over and over for all the world to see.

2) Just as obvious is the fact that these people - and it never really has been restricted to these two little girls, this has been going on for far to long - see no problem with the fact that another needs to suffer in order for them to make there snuff film. But maybe if you took away the video camera they would have done it anyway just because they enjoyed it - I know there are plenty of people out there sick enough to do it.

3) Lastly there is the fact that girls, despite the fact that they must have realized that video taping such an event and then placing in a forum where all could see would land them in a world of trouble and yet they did it anyway. I can only imagine that was because the punishment wasn't enough to counter balance whatever hero worship they would get from their fellow students after they watched the film - again saying something about all of this countries current youth. Hell, and us grown ups as well.

Now, you have to ask yourself why? Stumbling over such a film must be an absolutely shocking experience for a parent, family relative - whoever - to find. Even if you are someone who doesn't know any of the children in the film it must be shocking - I sure as shit was shocked.

But in the end these pre-teen girls got - I would imagine - what they wanted in the first place - to be famous. CNN aired the video on their website. Yes, add fuel to the fire. And then we wonder why people would do such a thing? Yes, why indeed?

I was so disturbed by this that while eating a local Denny's, when I went to use the bathroom I had a perfectly good white bathroom stall just ripe for the writing and I came up with nothing. On top of that I went to the bathroom in the first place because I actually had to use the bathroom and in the end all I could muster was a hefty fart.

No comments: